ED Specialist in Topeka, KS
Expert in the Diagnosis and Treatment of ED for Men in Kansas
An increasingly common and widely undertreated condition, erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability of a man to maintain an erection suitable for sexual intercourse. It affects up to 50% of men over 40 years old and appears to be more severe the older a man gets. Contact the office of Dr. Brad Rupp, a board-certified urologist in Topeka at 785-354-7877 if you are seeking treatment options for erectile dysfunction. With years of experience, Dr. Brad Rupp and his team are highly skilled in erectile dysfunction treatment options that are best for you. Patients from all over Kansas come to Dr. Rupp's office for his expertise in male impotence including Lawrence, Manhattan, Salina, and surrounding areas.
When diagnosing erectile dysfunction, Dr. Rupp performs a physical exam, obtains blood tests when needed, and takes a detailed look at your health history. He makes every effort to ensure you are as comfortable as possible during the process and answers any questions pertaining to ED that arise during your appointment.
What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile Dysfunction: It’s common, and it’s treatable.
If you are dealing with erectile dysfunction (ED), you are not alone: nearly one in every four men over sixty-five will experience some degree of erectile dysfunction.1 Younger men often struggle with ED as well. By taking the time to educate yourself about ED, you’ve made an important first step in finding a solution to erectile dysfunction (impotence).
Erectile Dysfunction is the consistent inability to sustain an erection sufficient for sexual intercourse.
Erectile Dysfunction can be:
- A total inability to achieve an erection – You can never get an erection.
- An inconsistent ability to do so – You can only occasionally get an erection.
- A tendency to sustain only brief erections – You can get an erection, but can’t keep it long enough for satisfying sex.
What Causes ED?
As a result of recent medical research, it is now known that more than 80% of men suffering from ED can trace its origin to a physical problem or disorder.
For most men, the cause of ED can now be fairly easily identified. Once identified, proper treatment can be recommended that may help you return them to a satisfying sex life.
ED can be caused by physical disorders such as:
- An injury (i.e. brain or spinal cord)
- A disease (i.e. diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol)
- Various studies have estimated that between 20% – 71% of individuals with diabetes suffer from erectile dysfunction.2
- An operation (i.e. prostate gland removal)
- Substance use (i.e. tobacco, drugs, alcohol or medications)
Other facts about Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence):
- Approximately 30 million American men suffer from erectile dysfunction.
- Most men with erectile dysfunction still have the ability to have an orgasm and father a child, but often have difficulty doing these things because they can’t get or sustain an erection.
- Erectile dysfunction is not normal and is by no means an inevitable consequence of aging.
- Most men at one time or another during their sexual lives are unable to get or keep an erection. This is normal and does not indicate a problem. However, millions of men of all ages experience this inability as a continuing problem.
- In most cases, erectile dysfunction can be overcome.
- Rosen R, et al. The process of care model for evaluation and treatment of erectile dysfunction. Int’l J. Impotence Research. 1999; 11, 59-74,
- Penson D, et al. Erectile Dysfunction in Diabetic Patients. Diabetes Spectrum. 2004, Vol 17, No. 4, 225-230.